Monday, January 31, 2011

Namaste Pushkar


So here I am in Pushkar, a small village surrounding a holy lake - 'Namaste' means hello in Hindi and I'm certainly glad to be here. After staying for a couple of (rather unpleasant) nights in Jaipur I'm glad to have escaped it. Jaipur known as the 'pink city' has a rather bad reputation and it lived up to it, however I did shoot one of my favourite images there so far during this trip.
So I arrived in Pushkar and found a great hotel thanks to a recommendation by a couple I met on the train, took my first hot shower in two days and have eaten the best food here since I started my trip - Pushkar is a strictly vegetarian place, no meat or eggs and it's great to eat some vegetables which I've been missing. This is appreciated especially since I got really ill in Varanasi (had to get a doctor to come to my hotel after four days of unpleasantness) and had been eating only bananas and dry toast, but now my appetite is back with a vengeance.
The image above was shot just outside my hotel room on the balcony, I'm staying in a converted 'dharamsala' which is a dwelling for pilgrims to the lake. The whole place is painted sky blue and lime green and it certainly makes a nice setting for your morning chai. The hotel is also really peaceful which is appreciated after the night time din of Jaipur - so quiet in fact that last night I heard a group of guests at the hotel being asked by the owner to pack their bags and leave as they were making too much noise - "You want to party go to Goa, this is a quiet place" I overheard him say as they got their marching orders.
I had a day off from shooting yesterday and concentrated on getting myself fed, watered and relaxed - I'm finding that being on the road can be quite tiring and shooting everyday is not really possible. After dinner I wandered down to one of the Ghats where the evening prayers were being sung, I was invited to sit down with the locals and see the music being played infront of us, I was sitting amongst a group of ladies all with brightly coloured saris over there heads and the music was amazing, it's one of my best experiences since this trip began - I had no camera so this memory will be one just for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment