Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sadhu next to Mother Gunga, Varanasi


I've just spent five days in Varanasi and what a contrast to Delhi. This holy city has and atmosphere all of it's own and it was hard to move on to the next destination. Plus getting the chance to meet a Sadhu is not something that happens everyday, although I did have to politely turn down the hit on his chillum that he offered me (honest)



The hotel I was staying in 'The Lord Vishnu' was great and more than made up for the noisey, damp ridden cell I was staying in in Delhi, I had a nice sized room with a balcony overlooking the Ganges which was a treat to sit on sipping my chai while watching the sun rise each morning. However I'm discovering that hotel accommodation over here is slightly different to what most people may be accustomed to.
The shot below was from my shower in the hotel and while I don't pretend to be any kind of qualified electrician I'm sure this set up can't be a very good idea, plus I can do without an audience while I'm getting myself spruced up of a morning...



I left Varanasi yesterday evening and took the over night train to Agra and arrived here first thing. I dropped my stuff at my hotel here in town, rather boringly called the 'Tourist Rest House' and headed straight over to the Taj Mahal to catch it in the morning light which was in a word - impressive.
After shooting for a couple of hours I headed over to a nearby rooftop restaurant to enjoy a well earned breakfast and admire the Taj as it bathed in the strengthening sunlight. It was only when I returned to the hotel to take a shower that I realised that the wash time wildlife combo in Varanasi was nothing compared to this place in Agra. Could it be that my hotel room contains the worlds only shower with built in pigeon coop?!

2 comments:

  1. Pidgeon-coop shower makes my heart smile. What an inspiring and beautiful way to start your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it Curtis! The pigeon was quite well behaved so I didn't object to him being there too much in the end!

    ReplyDelete