Sunday, March 27, 2011

A varied week...

Variety, so they say, is the spice of life. Working as a freelancer allows me the freedom to carry out assignments for different clients shooting a variety of different subject matter.
This last week has been a good example of this, the following shoots were all done here in London and have taken me to very different locations across the city


Tuesday 22nd March - Stockwell, South London
This shoot was a commission for a magazine that deals with social housing issues. The piece centered around a woman who runs a community centre on the Stockwell Park estate which has more than it's fair share of problems with crime, drug dealing and gang violence. The image above shows the door at the entrance to the centre and yes, that's a bullet hole in it... more from this shoot when the piece has gone to press


Thursday 24th March - City of London
Early morning view over the square mile from the offices of a firm of solicitors on New Street Square. I was here to shoot a conference on the housing sector and before the job started grabbed a few shots of St Paul's in the morning light huddled amongst it's modern neighbours, thank God winter's over


Saturday 26th March - Piccadilly, West End
Cuts and bruises... The protest against the rounds of Government spending cuts leads to the inevitable clashes between protesters and police. I couldn't stay long at the demo as had a another shoot but managed to find this hot spot just as Piccadilly was being ransacked. This image was taken on Regent Street as people tried to join the main group via connecting Air Street, a line of police separated them, missiles were thrown and arrests were made. I got another photographers lens in the back of the head and a shove from a policeman's shield for my trouble


Saturday 26th March - Sotheby's Auction House, New Bond Street, Mayfair
An hour later and just around the corner from Piccadilly I'm standing in Sotheby's wearing a suit and shooting a load of Russian V.I.P's at a fundraising event for a museum in Moscow.
This job came via a contact at a U.K magazine and the images will be used in some sort of Russian lifestyle magazine (as far as I know).
It was a job 'for my soup' as the French would say and there certainly were some odd characters there, the night ended with one of the attendees (a sort of Russian Tony Soprano) telling me that if I took his picture I would have 'big big problem'.
A varied week indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment