Friday, January 11, 2013

Time lapse test

I'm starting to become more interested in the possibilities of projects involving moving images along side my stills work and this afternoon was spent doing some tests with time lapse photography which I'm completely new to.
I have a future project in mind that will involve using this technique so after getting hold of a cheap intervalometer from Hong Kong via Ebay I took myself off to a busy spot to get to grips with the technique.
The intervalometer while sounding like a complex bit of kit is really just a cable release with the capacity to fire shots regularly at any interval required. You simply fire a number of shots over a period of time and then turn them into a movie file played back at 24 frames per second, the result of which shows the motion played back at a far greater speed than normal.
To go into the technical side of things (as much as for a record for myself than anyone else) the settings were as follows:
Camera set to large JPEG/camera faithful with manual shutter/aperture/white balance and IS on the lens turned OFF.
In the two pieces of footage above the frames were shot at an interval of 1 second with the shutter speed at an 8th of a second, a shutter speed any faster results in the movement appearing as 'blips' where as dragging the shutter allows one frame to merge into the next.

Each piece of footage consists of 360 frames shot at one per second over a period of 6 minutes, played back at 24 frames per second each piece of footage lasts around 15 seconds.
While it was an overcast day it was quite difficult to get the shutter speed desired even with the combination of a large aperture and the lowest ISO possible on my 5D MKII. So if shooting these under bright conditions a ND filter is required which I went and got myself afterwards.
The video above was really just a test and no post production has been applied to the frames/images, it also does look a little blurry and low res but that's down to the video encoding which was done out of the box in Quicktime. After looking into the important subject of video encoding or 'CODEC' I feel like I've opened Pandora's box so I'll have to have a more thorough look into this once the stills for the project have all been shot.
More to follow on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment