Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Chess Boxing at the Scala, Kings Cross


A couple of screen shots from footage filmed ringside at a Chess Boxing event held at the Scala venue in Kings Cross.
I'd seen the event featured a while ago and fancied checking it out for myself. It's promoted as an event where the opponents are challenged to duel both physically and mentally, the rules dictating that there are alternate rounds of boxing and chess with the winner being decided by checkmate or knockout - which ever comes first


Having never been to a boxing match I was blown away by the atmosphere, the crowd seemed to be just as much into the chess rounds as the boxing, some of the chess moves seemed to get a louder reaction than when punches were landed!
Being ringside meant I was in as close as possible to the action, perhaps a little too close at times. I discovered that when a fighter is on the ropes they bend significantly resulting in being caught out with a couple of bonks on the lens during the course of the evening, could have been worse I suppose - could have been caught with a wayward punch!
I've just started going through all the footage from the evening and I plan to cut it together into a short narrative piece looking at the contrasts between these two wildly different sporting events brought together during a bout of Chess Boxing.
More to follow from this once the edit is finished

No comments:

Post a Comment